August 19, 2012

Do What You Love: An Introduction.


Please excuse the absence. I've had to take two weeks off uni because of a terrible flu and I've spent a good portion of that time asleep, so apart from planned blogs, this space was definitely put on the back foot.

Also, I haven't known what to write about because my mind has been preoccupied by what I'm doing with my life. It's confusing me a bit, but it has left me to ponder why I feel the need to have all my shit sorted right at this very moment. After chatting to friends and kids at my uni, my old school, at work and wherever else, I've realised this pressure is not isolated to me - well, actually, I've known that for a while but I didn't realise on what kind of scale it existed.

So, I'm going to attempt to start a series, 'Do What You Love'. To start with, I'm just trying to get these thoughts onto paper and out of my mind, but from there I'll branch out and begin to share all the little ideas I have in my head of what I might one day do with my life. There'll be ideas that I've fallen in love with, ideas that I dread but I expect could happen anyway, and everything in-between.

But more importantly, I'd love to hear your opinions! Whether they're about what I'm saying - agreeing, disagreeing, not sure - tell me! I'm interested. More so though, I'd love to hear about your dreams, even if you think they're ridiculous or farfetched. Comment away if you have anything to say and, if your feeling brave, I'd love to have some guest posts where you share your dreams and thoughts on Do What You Love.

To start with though, tomorrow you will get to see me go off on a bit of a tangent, hoping that it will at least help one kid out there to realise that despite all of the information thrown at us and the nosy people who think that we should be working towards retirement already, that really what they should do is what they love.

Le fotografie: some things that I love. 
Flowers.

Parks at night.
Hipster-fying Photos.

This tunnel under the Roundhouse in Fremantle.

Imperfect photos that just have that something about them...

Good friends, even more so because I only get to see them once a year.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

It's such an essential thing. Doing what you love. They say the most beautiful and soothing occupation is the one that calls to you the most :)

Sorry to hear about your flu times. Hope it's all better and that you get your full health!

Kate Moore said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better and am keen to hear what you learn about doing what you love. I think it's so easy to veer from and anyone in middle management and even higher up the chain would probably tell you they've strayed from doing what they loved. I love journalism and telling stories and will be blogging about it soon, as soon as I get my head around some of the changes happening in my busy days. Keep plugging away. You're doing just fine. Remember that.

sonia // daring coco said...

Awww what an amazing concept you're starting up Rhi. My two cents is TAKE THE TIME TO FIGURE IT OUT! DON'T RUSH INTO OTHER PEOPLE'S IDEAS OF WHAT LIFE IS ABOUT AND HOW IT SHOULD BE LIVED. YOU (I'll stop with the caps now!) are the one who walks in your shoes and you have to do what's right for you. I didn't listen to my intuition when I was 21 and rushed into other people's preconceived ideas and well lets say I wasted a good 4 years of my life working 9-5 in a bad relationship and severally depressed! Just picking up the pieces now and following my dreams which I've spent that past year figuring out. I would love to publish a few New York Times Best Sellers, write and possibly star in a movie and move to the US to be closer to my family. That's my 5 year plan for now! Dream big I say! :o)

SDMxx
www.daringcoco.com